There will come a morning when you wake up and realize a few things. And you will wonder why no one told you.
1. Not everyone has your best interest at heart. There will be people who offer their help, but only if there’s something in it for them. If it becomes an inconvenience for them, there will always be a super good reason that plans change and suddenly they’re unavailable.
2. Knowing people doesn’t make them your friends. At the end of the day, your friends are the people who answer the phone when you call at 11 at night crying because you’re lonely. Your friends are the people who come over when they haven’t heard from you in a week because they’re worried about you. I know a lot of people. I have like 5 friends. And I’m okay with that.
3. Blood isn’t thicker than water. There will be times that water is there and blood isn’t, and that’s when you find out that sometimes, friends mean more than the family you were born into. Friends are family you choose.
4. You aren’t someone else’s opinion of you. Maybe your mom thinks your hair looks better a different color. Maybe your sister thinks you’d be so cute if you’d just dress a certain way. Maybe you feel like you just don’t measure up. But that’s not true. As long as you can look on the mirror and be comfortable with who you are, that’s all that matters. If you’re most comfortable in sweat pants, wear those sweats. If you feel best with a full face of makeup, put on the war paint. You are you, and that’s all that matters, because you are the best and only version of you.
5. The biggest lesson in growing up? You grow out. The people who you thought you’d always talk to, you don’t even know where they live anymore. Remember when you were so worried about what so and so thought of you? They don’t matter. Being liked by everyone doesn’t mean anything if you’re not loved by a few.
Be kind. Be humble. Be loud. Be fearless. Be loving. Be unapologetic about who you are.
Growing up doesn’t suck. It just means learning some things and and deciding that you don’t mind what other people think. Grow up, grow out, and be yourself.